Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Happy Anniversary, Ondine!


A year ago today, Ondine was first published and I just love that little novella so much I want to wish her a happy anniversary. By that time, the audiobook had already been on the market for a few months, but I'd never seen my work in print until a year ago today.

You'll probably recognize the cover because I use it as an avatar/emblem/icon everywhere I go. I love the cover as much as I love the book.

Rather than rehashing the blurb that appears on every site where Ondine is available for sale, I'll give you an off-the-cuff synopsis. This book is almost a mystery that doesn't know it's a mystery. All the characters think they know the whole truth, but none of them really do...at least not at the start. I didn't realize, when I wrote it, that it was unconventional in terms of perspective. Characters pass the POV torch in the chapter intervals, and that's how we get to know so many characters so well.

Evelyn starts us off. She's a Chinese-Canadian artist living and working in Ottawa when a chance-in-a-lifetime opportunity lands in her lap. She gets a contract to produce art for the newest hotel in an extravagant real estate mogul, Gavin Drinkwater's, arsenal. In the process, she falls for Drinkwater's son, heir to the company fortune, and chaos ensues, of course.

In the midst of that chaos, and a huge gala party, Evelyn ends up sharing a plate of hors d'oeuvres and way too much champagne with Imelda, young Drinkwater's mother, who gets tipsy enough to recount the tale of Ondine. Back when Imelda was a young bride in an open marriage, she fell in love and in lust with a ballerina called Ondine. Ondine was no stranger to the love of a good woman--her father had encouraged her to marry a man and leave her country of origin when he caught poor Ondine in the arms of Yvette, a fellow ballerina.

Now, if I go much further I'm going to get into spoilers and I wouldn't want to do that because there are some great twists. Let's just say Ondine is a force of nature in her own innocent little way. She manages to arouse everything in her path and perhaps allows worlds to come crashing down behind her when she leaves.

All in all, I'd call this a bisexual novella. There are characters of various sexual orientations, some of whom are questioning their identities while others are firm in their preferences. Ondine was the first novella-length work I ever wrote, and I still think it's worth a read as an ebook, in print, or audiobook from iTunes.

Happy Anniversary, Ondine!
Hugs,
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment