Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lesbian Fetish Book BANNED

Anybody been looking for my lesbian anal fetish ebook Elementary, My Dear Kathryn at All Romance ebooks lately?

If you have, you probably noticed... it's not there.  Yesterday I noticed that *poof* my dear Kathryn had vanished.  I guess ARe's been purging again.  When they executed their initial banishment of ebooks deemed offensive or unsuitable to their brand image or what have you, 6 of my titles were taken down.  In that instance, at least *most* of my publishers were informed about *most* of those banishments.

Poor Kathryn.  She was just swept off store shelves without a word. Very hush-hush.  Nobody thought to inform my publisher, much less myself as the author.  No worries, guys.  It's only my livelihood at stake.  Just do what you're gonna do.  Whatevs.


I'd love to be able to tell you WHY Elementary, My Dear Kathryn was banned by ARe, but as in the case of every other ebook of mine they've removed from their shelves, I'm left to guess.

So here are my top guesses:

  1. The blurb mentions that two of the characters were friends as children (it's a reunion story) and "children" triggers red flags when it appears in metadata? Maybe?
  2. The central couple in this story maintains a longterm D/s relationship, and they are more than happy to welcome a third woman to join them in the bedroom.  This doesn't sound "romantic" and therefore has no place at All ROMANCE ebooks?  Maybe?
  3. The focus of the sexual activity in this book is anal pleasure, including enemas and anilingus--stuff we can do in real life but we'd better not write about because it's icky?  Maybe? 
  4. There's nudity on the cover. Maybe?
As I say, I don't know.  I'm guessing.  And maybe the thing that pisses me off the most is that my publisher and I are left to guess.  To be honest, I never know which of my titles are in the running for banishment because I've never been told WHY my banned books have been banned.  I asked once (about my ebook Good Bi Valentine, because I have no fricken clue what's so "offensive" about that cute little erotic comedy) and I got the run-around.

Sorry for such a negative post.  I didn't mean to spew bile all over everybody but, as I say, this is my livelihood we're talking about.  I write for a living.  I don't have a spouse or anyone to support me.  It's sink or swim, so when a retailer starts throwing my books overboard I get a little agitated.

Anyway, it's not like ARe is the only show in town.  Elementary, My Dear Kathryn is still available from the publisher (loveyoudivine), as well as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Rainbow ebooks.

Thanks for listening, everybody!  I needed that rant.


  1. I say you've deserved the rant . . . spew away and we'll happily listen (and support you). I have to imagine it's tempting to boycott them altogether, but hard to justify when it's your livelihood.

    It just so happens "lesbian anal fetish" hits all my hot buttons, so I think I'll pop over to somewhere OTHER than AR and pick up a copy. Kisses!

  2. Sad! My guess is w/ Emily's- no 4. On Amazon your cover should be OK, though.

    Too bad they couldn't tell you why before they did it. Boo!

  3. I also would've guessed the cover image, but that sucks. Really sucks.

  4. I can't stand censorship. As a kid I went to the school library to check out "Of Mice and Men" for a book report. It was unavailable because it had been taken off of the shelf because of the content. I rode my bike to the next city to the public library to get it instead of choosing another book.

    I hate the idea of someone else telling me I can't read something because they don't approve.

    I'll show them. I just bought your book on Amazon. Oh, and it looks good, and I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.


  5. Thanks for the comments, everybody!

    Faith, I can't believe "Of Mice and Men" was censored... but I feel that way every time I hear which classic book the school boards etc have been newly banned. I'm just glad I was a student in the time when "Catcher in the Rye" was still being taught. And thank you for buying my Kathryn!

    It's funny, but I only added #4 to the list after I'd written this entire blog post and then gone back to attach the cover image (which was created by the award-winning and uber-talented Dawné Dominique, by the way). I looked at it and thought "Hmm... maybe that's the problem." But, again, who knows?