Monday, May 14, 2012

We Raised Some Money for LGBT Youth~Thanks!

Hey Everybody,

Remember how for the first week of May I had that promotion to celebrate my four-year anniversary with Sweet?  Remember?  No?  Okay, well basically I said I'd donate $1 from each purchase of Nanny State and Secret Confessions bought that week to a great little peer support organization for LGBT Youth.

So, the numbers are in and I'd like to announce that we raised $28!  Yay!

Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot of money, and maybe it's not to most people--but it is to me.  The last time I held a promotion in support of LGBT Youthline, I was giving away 100% of royalties from certain books over an entire quarter.  In three months, I raised less than $5. You read that right.  Less than FIVE DOLLARS! So in comparison, $28 is a fortune.

I've been reading a lot of blog posts lately where writers are disclosing their incomes and I always find myself thinking WOW.  Or even saying it out loud.  "WOW."  Tens or hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars?  I don't make that kind of money.  I'm not exactly sure where the poverty line sits these days, but I'm certain I live under it.

That's neither here nor there, I suppose.  It's just been on my mind a lot lately.  The other thing that's been on my mind, after hearing Obama coming out as a proponent of gay marriage in the states and the ensuing reactions from various... people... is that we queer folks get a lot of shit thrown at us.  I'm an adult and I think a fairly strong person, and there are times when even I can't handle it.  How on earth do LGBTQ teens and young adults cope?

With support.  Right?  That's got to be the answer.


So what better time than the present to donate the $28 we've raised together to LGBT Youthline?

Thank you, everyone.  After last time, I was ready to give up on fundraising through book purchases.  But we'll do this again. Thank you. 

Thank you.

Hugs,
Giselle Renarde
Canada just got hotter!



No comments:

Post a Comment