Pour vous, my fellow Canadians!
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas in Canada
101 Stories About the Joy and Wonder of the Holidays, Canadian Style!
We're making another book for Canada. Christmas in Canada is a special time. The nights are long but our hearts are warm and the lights are bright. What's your story?
We want your true, dramatic stories that took place at Christmas time in Canada, whether you are Canadian, a resident of Canada, or a visitor to Canada. And keep that Canadian spelling in your computer, eh? We are defining Christmas as the entire December holiday season and the New Year festivities too.
Here are some examples of holiday events around which your story might take place, but we know you can think of many more:
• Festivals of lights and other annual Christmas events in your community
• Creches, passion plays, church events that come with a great story
• Santa stories, keeping in mind that we keep the magic alive for our younger readers!
• The tree... and other decorating traditions
• Love and Romance at Christmas
• Gifts and cards, music and food, decorations and holiday attire
• Christmas Shopping...the struggles and successes
• Kindness and generosity at Christmas
• Hockey, ice fishing, skiing, tobogganing, sledding, skating, camping, snow shoeing, curling... all winter sports shared during the Christmas season
• Family ties, children and reunions
• Meeting up with old friends and new at Christmas
• Neighbours and Community at Christmas
• The challenges or fun of winter weather during the Christmas season
• Adapting your celebration when the weather gets in the way (like the 2013 ice storms)
• Christmas and holiday traditions in your town or province
• Hanukah, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and other holiday season traditions and events, even if not specifically Christmas
• Christmas in Canada for new Canadians
• Animals at Christmas
• Family lore - those stories you tell over and over again!
• Christmas in the north - First Nation stories
Remember, a dramatic story that inspires and opens the heart of your reader in some way will always work best. Also, we do not like "as told to" stories. Please write in the first person about yourself or someone close to you. If you ghostwrite a story for someone else we will list his or her name as the author. If a story was previously published, we will probably not use it unless it ran in a small circulation venue. Let us know where the story was previously published in the "Comments" section of the submission form. If the story was published in a past Chicken Soup for the Soul book, please do not submit it.
If your story or poem is chosen, you will be a published author and your bio will be printed in the book if you so choose. You will also receive a check for U.S. $200 and 10 free copies of your book, which retail for $16.95 Canadian each. You will retain the copyright for your story, and you will also retain the right to resell it.
SUBMISSIONS GO TO OUR WEBSITE. http://www.chickensoup.com/story-submissions/submit-your-story
The deadline for story and poem submissions is May 30, 2014.