Monday, May 19, 2008

a bench is not a garbage can

This is a bench.
It is not a garbage can.
Some may be confused by the fact that it's covered in GARBAGE, and thus not a place one might feel inclined to sit, but I can assure you it is indeed a bench.

It all comes down to respect. When we leave our crap all over the place, we're inconveniencing other people. It's a blatant display of disrespect for our fellow citizens.

I was already in a rotten mood when I saw this garbage-ridden bench. On my subway, the jarring metallic voices of three distinct ipods were grating on my nerves. Noise pollution in the extreme. It's another instance of us city-dwellers having no respect for the millions of people we live with.

Can I offer a tip to anyone with a portable music player (myself included - I always have my earbuds in): When you turn on your music, hold your headphones at arm's length for a moment. If you can hear anything, your music is too loud. It's going to disturb other people, so have a little respect and turn the volume down.

It's all about respect, my friends.

Bright Blessings and Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians. Enjoy the fireworks!