Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Call for Submissions: Bisexual and Genderqueer Reprints

Who likes deadlines? I do! I do!

Okay, you're going to smack me, but the deadline for submissions to this antho is TODAY. *shields sensitive areas* Yeah, I know, I'm sorry. I had this one in my iCal, but only just noticed the part at the bottom where it says "please repost" etc.

At any rate, it asks for reprints only, so if you've got one that fits the bill send it in. Like...today. (Sorry!) See below for ze informations:


Deadline: 15 Novembe 2011

I will be editing a reprint anthology of bisexual and genderqueer speculative fiction for Lethe Press, to be released in 2012!

SF is the perfect field for exploring the in-between spaces of emotion, performance and sexuality. The queer, the variable, the fluid and the strange are all present in speculative worlds, from classics like Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness to contemporary queer texts like Catherynne M. Valente's Palimpsest. Speculative fiction is about imagination and extrapolation - what better to extrapolate on than stretching or breaking the binaries of performance, attraction and sexual identity?

As for specifics: The anthology will feature a mix of stories from various speculative fields, including fantasy, science fiction, and horror. I am accepting only reprints, but I am interested in both contemporary and classic material. The anthology will pay a flat fee of $100 per story, word count from 1,000-8,000, though I am willing to be flexible for particularly impressive pieces that run longer.

I'll be both soliciting stories and accepting submissions of previously published material; if you have a favorite bi- or genderqueer short story in a speculative genre, suggest it in the comments of this post. If you have previously published a genderqueer or sexually fluid short story in a speculative genre, please submit with the prior publication information in a cover letter and the story following below in the body of the email, not as an attachment. The deadline for both story suggestions and submissions is November 15th, 2011.

Submissions may be sent to BritMandelo (at) hotmail (dot) com. Suggestions from readers and enthusiasts may be left in the comments of this post--please, tell me what your favorite bisexual and genderqueer stories are!

I look forward to seeing what we can put together. Please, if you have a moment, repost and link this call for submissions across your internet neighborhood--I would like to have a wide spectrum of contributors.

Brit Mandelo - BritMandelo (at) hotmail (dot) com

Contact Information:

For inquiries: BritMandelo (at) hotmail (dot) com

For submissions: BritMandelo (at) hotmail (dot) com

Website: http://www.lethepressbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment