Monday, August 22, 2011

Quick Six PRO with DC Juris (Part Two)


Q: What do you look for in a publisher?

DC Juris: Dependability. An author needs to be more than a dollar sign, and the publisher needs to understand that they don't exclusively own their authors. We're not cattle - we're free to publish anywhere we like. One publisher might be able to meet an author's needs, but then again they might not be. That, and answering my e-mails in a timely manner is always appreciated.

Q: What makes an editor great or...not so great?

DC Juris: The editor who is willing to get to know an author is a great editor. The editor who invests themselves in the characters and the story, who pushes the author to give a better story is a good editor. On the contrary an editor who dives into edits on, say, book two in a series, without having even glanced at book one, shows a lack of professionalism. Getting to know an author is key. If they're a published author who is new to you - read something of theirs. Get to know your author's quirks. And don't be insulting - sometimes, it's not a massive slap in the face to the rules of writing. Sometimes, it's just a typo. :-)

Q: Do you have a preference for short stories of longer works?

DC Juris: Shorter, definitely, both for reading and writing. I don't have a ton of time to read, so stories with piles and piles of details or long, run-on story lines don't appeal to me. Tell me what I need to know - what I absolutely need. I can fill in the rest of the small things myself.

Q: Do you find yourself writing for the market and not for YOU, or self-censoring in any way?

DC Juris: I don't censor at all. I write my stories as the characters tell me they happened. If they make people squeamish, well, that's what warning labels are for.

Q: How have the people in your life reacted to your career as a writer?

DC Juris: My husband and my sister are the only family members who support me. The rest are just "glad I don't use the family name." My friends and co-workers are supportive, though.

Q: Any promo tips for fellow authors?

DC Juris: I'm the last person to give promo tips, but I will say, be honest and approachable to your readers. They like to know you're real.

DC Juris is author of:


Finding Sanctuary is the story of Vincent, a typical, average guy who has begun to unravel. He has a respectable, mainstream life, with a solid job, nice girlfriend, comfortable house-all the material trappings. What, then, is causing this restlessness, these blackouts? The first revelation is that his best friend Eric is also his heart's desire. But then Eric invites him to a weekend at a BDSM playhouse ... There Vincent will confront his fears and test the limits of his sexual boundaries. Eric has his needs, too-needs that conflict with Vincent's. Will their fragile new bond survive the weekend? Will Vincent find the sanctuary he so fervently desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment