Monday, August 8, 2011

Quick Six PRO with Selena Kitt

Quick Six interviews are now in their 3rd incarnation here at Donuts & Desires, with the newest installation, Quick Six Professional Edition. I figure, no matter your "product," you've got to come out with a PRO edition sooner or later. LOL So these questions focus on writing and industry. This time, I decided to ask questions I as an author was curious to hear answered.

As always, my first respondent was Selena Kitt, and so her interview starts off a new season of Quick Sixes:

Quick Six PRO with Selena Kitt

Q: What's hot on the market these days?

In erotica and erotic romance, paranormal is still going strong, in spite of predictions by many that it would wane. BDSM, M/M and Menage are also at the top sellers for us at Excessica.

Q: What's the most time-consuming part of a writer's life?

Marketing and promo. And you're usually doing it while you should be writing. My suggestion? Write FIRST. Without books, there's nothing to market. Save your promo for your down time, and do it from your phone while you're waiting at the doctor's office or at night while you're chilling and watching The Daily Show. Make WRITING your priority, because marketing and promo is a time-suck you can't afford without a plethora of books in the market.

Q: On the topic of ebook piracy, hunter or head in the sand?

Neither. I'll send take-down notices if I find someone pirating my work, if I have the time. But I don't hunt them down anymore. And believe me, I used to. It made me furious to see people trading my work as if it had no value whatsoever. But what I came to realize is that people who steal are always going to be thieves. Their moral compass is just broken. Most of them never would have purchased a book anyway. On a personal level, I think worrying about hunting them all down yourself causes far too much stress and takes way too much time away from what you should be doing - writing. Instead, I'd suggest supporting fighting piracy at a larger level - get involved in passing more stringent laws against it instead of trying to do it all on your own.

Q: How do you handle a bad review?

I thank the reviewer for their opinion. That's all a review is, in the end. You can't please everyone all of the time - but you sure can please yourself. ;)

Q: Have you ever encountered any unprofessional behaviors from editors, publishers or other writers, that they might not even realize are damaging?

Far too many to count. I've read plenty of cringe-worthy train wrecks on blogs and forums where writers can't seem to help "expressing themselves" into a hole they can't climb out of. Every writer seems to have to learn their lesson. Hopefully, they learn it early in their career and they move on. I know I learned mine. My current motto is NO DRAMA. I just don't have the time and energy for it. I don't get into arguments or debates on the Internet. I don't respond to reviews publicly, unless it's to make a factual clarification (and even that, I do very sparingly!) I don't publicly bad-mouth other writers or publishers, and I don't publicly gossip. I certainly will express my personal opinion, but I make sure to own it, and when I'm wrong or I cross a line, I apologize. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing a writer can do is remember to remain friendly, but professional, and avoid the drama at all costs.

Q: Do you find yourself writing for the market and not for YOU, or self-censoring in any way?

Since Amazon began banning "certain books," yes, I've started writing for the market and self-censoring in that way. There are things I won't publish anymore, incest being one of them. But for the most part, I write what I like. In erotica, I usually write what turns me on. Sometimes, I'll do something just to push myself, to try out something I haven't written before. For example, my first (and so far, only) gay male romance was an experiment, and Second Chance ended up winning an Epic Award. So the market has a little bit of say in what I'll write - or what I won't - but for the most part, I just try to please myself. And I admit, I do like pleasing myself. :)


Ty has been hurt by life and has sworn off relationships, but his curiosity is piqued by a motorcycle-riding hunk who comes through his Wal-Mart line and buys the same thing day after day: two Slim Jims, a sixty-four count box of crayons and Cracker Jacks. Ty’s curiosity gets the better of him and he goes out with Jonah, but Ty’s best friend, Lucky, is sure Jonah is bad news, and it does seem that both mens’ pasts threaten their future together. Will they find a second chance with one another?
-------------
Selena Kitt
eXcessica publishing

1 comment:

  1. Great interview--a good reminder not to get caught up in the marketing and to do the writing first. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete