Call For Submissions: New Horror Short Story Anthology
Another call for subs, this one from my mainstream e-publisher Untreed Reads (love them!) and it's for a New Year's Eve horror antho! I've got a story burbling away already. How about you?
Some people are sorry to see a year go by. Great things happened, vacations were taken, memories were made.
Of course...not EVERY year is necessarily a good one. And, sometimes, New Year's Eve can be the scariest holiday of them all. Forced to relive awkward moments, breakups...and sometimes something a little more sinister. A new year doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a GOOD year.
A lot of people die on New Year's Eve. Many of them happen in traffic accidents. But what about the others? What about the unusual deaths? Could there be a supernatural reason why people don't make it to a new year? Some force at work determined to thin the herd before the clock ticks over to 12:01?
Untreed Reads is pleased to announce a call for submissions for a new horror short story anthology we're calling Year's End. Come tell us your scariest story about New Year's Eve. Happy endings are not necessary. Heck, the more horrific and unhappy the better. Here's the rules:
1. All stories must be between 1500-5000 words.
2. Deadline for submission for consideration is October 15th, 2012. This is a firm date; no submissions after this date will be considered.
4. Your story CANNOT take place on New Year's Day. The ending may take you there, but the bulk of the story MUST happen on New Year's Eve.
5. Submissions must be in DOC, RTF or ODT format.
6. We will not be publishing the stories individually. Only the anthology will be available.
7. Authors will receive royalty, but not upfront payment. Authors will each receive a share of royalties of 50% of net (net = cover price - vendor commission) based on the number of authors in the final anthology.
8. Characters appearing in other Untreed Reads series or other series not published by us are strongly encouraged. Please check your contract with your publisher to make sure you may legally do so.
9. Your story MUST have a strong horror element to it. Any genre of horror is fine. Preference is to psychological horror rather than gore.
10. Stories not accepted for the anthology may be still be considered for other publication.
11. Previously published works are fine providing that electronic rights have reverted to the author and the story is not currently offered for free anywhere on the Internet or currently published through a self-publishing venue (i.e.: Smashwords, Amazon KDP, etc.).
12. There are no restrictions whatsoever on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc in the work.. Just tell us a great story!
Please direct any questions to Jay Hartman at email@example.com. We recommend looking at any of the followingfor an idea of the types of stories we're looking for: Joshua Calkins-Treworgy's Roads Through Amelia series, Benson Phillip Lott's Pumpkin series or any of the horror works by Rick R. Reed.
All decisions on material will be made by November 1st, 2012. Every attempt will be made to notify all authors of the status of their submission at that time. Please do not inquire about status prior to November 1st, 2012.
This anthology has an expected publication date of December 15th.
This is an open call, and may be reposted anywhere and everywhere.