Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy Breakup Day!


Or is it "Merry Breakup Day"? I can never remember...

Well, kids, the data is in and it turns out the highest period of breakups, aside from the weeks of Spring Break, is the two weeks leading up to Christmas.

David McCandless monitored the data from thousands of Facebook feeds for terms like "is now single" and "breakup" and used the results to generate the graph you see above.

You'll also notice Mondays are particularly popular breakup days. From these trends, sociologists all over the blogosphere predict the highest incidence of breakups will occur on the Monday falling two weeks before Christmas.

And guess what, my darling sweethearts? That day is today, Monday December 13th, 2010. It's officially breakup day.

So I'd like to send out a special round of hugs to all those who are newly broken up, and who are bound to breakup over the next two weeks. You have my sincere well-wishes for a quick recovery and a happy future. You never know...your partner might just come to their senses and realize life without you is just the pits.

Also, take comfort in knowing it's not you, it's just about every Facebook user. There are lots of breakups going on right now. You are not alone. It's rough right now, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. May you emerge bathed in the divine luminescence shining from your heart.

You are loved. Just because somebody breaks up with you doesn't mean you're any less worthy of sincere affection from those around you. Hugs, my darlings.

And, hey, we can all take comfort in knowing Christmas Day shows the lowest incidence of breakups all year long. If you make it to December 25, you're in good shape. If not, my thoughts are with you.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Canada just got hotter!



1 comment:

  1. Giselle,

    That was a fabulous post!

    I know it was supposed to be a cheery one but I took a look at that fascinating graph of all the data, and nearly burst into tears! Looking back, nearly every breakup I've experienced have either been before a long holiday (such as Christmas or spring break), or believe it or not, Mondays! I mean okay, ONCE I called things off with a guy right before spring break because...well I don't know, I'm an awful person, but for some reason, that just saddens me. I really don't know why. On a happy note, no one broke up with me today. Yay! :)

    Thanks for the post though, really. It was a fun read and I love your blog!

    Stephanie
    thestephanieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete