Thursday, December 10, 2009

What's your Favourite Christmas Carol?

I always wait for my girlfriend the Official Christmas Fanatic to decorate the tree. Sweet surprised me with a visit yesterday and we went right at it. *ahem* Decorating. The tree. She threatened me with garland, but I drew the line at a wreath. There's only so much Christmas I can handle.

Anyway, I had the radio on and she said, "What? Where are the Christmas Carols? Put on a CD."

I have one lonely CD of Christmas songs. It's choral music. I like it. Sweet doesn't.

"You know what this reminds me of?" she said. "It reminds me of being in Church, bored stiff, and looking at my watch like, 'I'm going to be here for another hour and a half?' It's so serious!"

I have a feeling my stocking will be filled with cheesy Christmas CD's this year, but I still like my choral music. Got me wondering, though...

Which Christmas songs do people love most?

I've been mulling this question over in my mind since yesterday. The more I think about it, the more I realize there are quite at few carols I love to hear. "Carol of the Bells" has always been high on my list. "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" as well.



"S'vivon" is my clear-cut favourite Hanukkah song, but that's probably because I only know a few. Here's an amusing version I found on YouTube:



As for classic Christmas Carols...oh I really hate picking favourites...but I'm going to go with "O Holy Night." It wins out for the "fall on your knees" bit. Isn't that stunning, when you really picture it? Those words, "Fall on your knees/ Oh hear the angels' voices" give me an image of pure humility--a trait I sorely lack at times--in the the face of the universe's inconceivable beauty. It gives me a feeling of encountering a force so great it makes you feel at once like a spec of dust and facet of great spirit.



Last year, I made Sweet a lovely little video card, but since I have three holiday releases coming out this December, I made a book trailer instead. The unrecognizable carol in there is in fact, "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." I just funkified it a touch.



But back to my original question: YOU! What is YOUR favourite Christmas Carol? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Do Share!
Bright Blessings,
Giselle Renarde

2 comments:

  1. Oh...I just realized I totally forgot to mention the Kenny and Dolly Christmas Album. A classic! Remember that one, "I'll be home with bells on / Trim the tree and wrap the presents / Turn the Christmas music on..."

    Ahh...Dolly, you make my Christmas goooooood!

    Hugs,
    gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Celtic Women and its a great 3 CD set. Although I enjoy them I love fun and more popular based Christmas music ... Roger Whitaker, john Denver *& Muppets, Kenny G, Barbra Steisand, Elvis to name a few ... "church music" is nice but I agree with Sweet ... lets enjoy Christmas with many interpretations of the season from many different and varied style artists

    ReplyDelete