Thursday, March 27, 2008

alchemy theatre read my mind

Just the other day, I was contemplating how unfair it is that theatrical performances costs so crazy much money to attend.  Want to check out Toronto's new opera house?  That'll be $275, please, if you'd like the best seat in the house.  If you're under 30 and don't mind an obstructed view, they'll sell you a ticket for $25.

But the main criterion for discounted ticket prices seems always to be age.  Why is there this assumption that everyone between the ages of 30 and 65 has money to throw around?  That just isn't the case.  There are plenty of adults out there who would love to attend plays, musicals, operas, symphonies, but cannot because it just costs too damn much. 

And then I came across a little flyer for Alchemy Theatre's production of All's Well that Ends Well, running from March 28th (tomorrow) until April 13th, 2008.  Now, I've never seen any of Alchemy's productions and in all honesty Shakespeare doesn't exactly make me wet with desire (I've seen enough modern interpretations for the time being).  That's not to say this won't be a great show.  Maybe it will, but what really caught my eye were the ticket prices:

$20 Wed-Sat, 2-4-1 Wed, PWYC Sun
$5 Discounted for the underemployed

A discount for the underemployed!!!  Do mine eyes deceive?  Now, this I've never seen before. Alchemy Theatre, you read my mind.  Those ticket prices are pretty reasonable to begin with (you can't get more reasonable than PWYC), but that $5 discount is music to my ears.  You're on the right track, Alchemy.  Why won't the big theatres with their gobs of money get a clue and offer discounted tickets for underemployed individuals? 

All I can do is hope this catches on (knowing full well it won't).