Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolve

I don't make New Year's resolutions...should I?

I could resolve to eat three meals a day, none of them take-out.

I could resolve not to start so many silly arguments with my girlfriend.

I could resolve to spend less money on sex toys, or to spend more money on sex toys.

I could resolve to promote my work more shamelessly, or to eat seven servings of fruit and vegetables every day, or not to have sex with married people.

I could resolve to get more sleep, or to get less sleep, or to be more charitable, or to drink less coffee, or to drink more coffee, or to start lifting weights, or to take sick days instead of struggling through, or to consume more protein, or to make peace with the dead.

I could resolve to do a lot of things, but the resolution itself would have little to no impact on reality. The trouble with resolutions is that you have to put them into action, and action tends not to be the writer's prerogative. I put words on paper when I can't say them out loud, or as a means of repairing the mistakes of the past. It's reparation, but it's passive.


Perhaps it's lazy of me never to resolve to be better, or kinder, or to live differently. Or maybe it's realistic. Or maybe I'm just happy with my life the way it is.


Happy New Year,

gigi

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

1 comment:

  1. I don't make resolutions either. Life is too short to be regimented and to feel you're not living up to your resolutions. I'd rather see what life has in store for me and take a chance on something new which a resolution might interfer with. I like my life and enjoy it so why ruin it by changing it.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete