Monday, May 27, 2019

Are you lonely? Do you like music? Then, do I have a treat for you!


I won't lie to you: it's been a while since I've felt enthused about work. I'm having a midlife crisis, and everything is in flux. But I'm still here! I'm still scrawling away in the background, producing BRAND NEW EROTIC FICTION for you to enjoy at a later date.

But why am I even talking about writing? That's not what I'm here to tell you about. I'm here to tell you about a BRAND NEW PROJECT I've dreamed up that'll hopefully help those of us who are socially isolated feel not so alone.

Yes, you heard that right: I'm socially isolated. I don't think it was even a gradual thing, for me. I think that, once I started writing full-time, my world instantly grew smaller. In the beginning, I'd take on part-time jobs because I needed the money.  I never realized how helpful it was for my mental health to interact with people out there in the world.

This summer, as I was dealing with the death of a family member who was also isolated and depressed, I realized I needed to change my life. I started doing volunteer work again, and that has helped tremendously (I highly recommend it!), but it wasn't a cure-all. My career as a writer is still very solitary, and I have trouble making friends and all that.

Months ago, I started thinking about how all the resources I've ever heard of that helped people who were socially isolated were for seniors. But the truth is that a lot of younger people feel isolated, too, these days. I wanted to create something online that would help us feel some connection, give us something to look forward to every day, but I didn't know what I could possibly do on a daily basis that wouldn't leave me disastrously overwhelmed.

Well, this week it hit me! I knew I wanted to do some kind of "friendly visitor" thing, but the other day I realized that I'm often posting whatever song is stuck in my head to Twitter.  I LOVE music. Like, music is magic. Music saves me. So I thought... that's what I can do: create a home for us to gather in day by day, where we come together around a song!

Whether you feel socially isolated or you just love music, I hope you'll read about my new project, which I guess is called A FRIENDLY MUSICAL VISIT EVERY DAY and is located at https://friendlymusicvisitor.blogspot.com

I wrote up a whole thing last night, to introduce you to my new project and hopefully get you interested in returning each and ever day. You can read it right here: https://friendlymusicvisitor.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-is-this-where-am-i-whats-it-all.html

Wish me luck with this!  There's nothing worse than starting something new only to find that no one cares. But, of course, that's not going to happen here! This is a great idea, and lots of people are going to love it! (I need to keep telling myself these things...)

Tell your friends!
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment