Monday, October 13, 2008

Ode to Mom

Here in Canada, we’re celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend. The holiday’s got me thinking about everything I have in life. I may not own half as much stuff as most North Americans, but I’m very aware of the abundance in my life. As long as there’s food in my fridge and a roof over my head, the rest is pure luxury.

That’s in terms of “stuff.”

But “stuff” isn’t the half of it, when I start to think about the things for which I’m really, deeply grateful. In that vein, I would like to publicly and officially give thanks for the most special person in my life: my mom.

I’m grateful for her sensibility and good decisions. It takes incredible strength for a woman to remove herself from a bad domestic situation. It takes diligence, hard work, and excellent budgeting skills to support four children unaided on a secretary’s salary.

Sure, mom and I had our screaming matches when I was in my teens, but as adults we’ve established a close bond. When I admitted to her, many years ago, that I’d been involved with a married man, she just listened. She didn’t lecture me like a child, she listened to me as a friend. That’s how I knew there’d been a shift in our relationship.

How fortunate am I to have a mother who, when I introduced the topic of sexual identity, wholeheartedly encouraged me to identify as “queer” if that’s how I felt? And how many moms would react to a daughter’s romantic relationship with a transsexual woman by saying, “That’s kind of weird, but I’m so proud that you’re so open-minded and accepting”? And since then, she’s gone on to become very interested in and supportive of my relationship with Sweet. She sees that I’m loved, and that’s all that matters.

I couldn’t ask for a better mom. The trouble is, I’m really bad at telling people just how much they mean to me. Tomorrow, when I gather with my family for Thanksgiving dinner, let’s see if I can finally work up the courage to tell my mom just how great she is.

And to all Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving and don’t forget there’s a federal election on Tuesday. Get out there and vote!

Bright Blessings,
Giselle Renarde