Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Kobo "Declines" ANOTHER Transgender Title: My Mistress' Thighs by Giselle Renarde

UPDATE: Kobo contacted me after reading this blog post! Read their response: http://donutsdesires.blogspot.ca/2013/12/kobos-response.html

The first four times this happened, I was willing to call it a curiosity.  Now that the infamous ebook retailer Kobo has decline five (count 'em--FIVE!) of my transgender romance titles, I can't consider it a coincidence.

I really don't think this IS a coincidence.  I think Kobo is censoring transgender romance.

Most recently, I uploaded one of my prestige pieces--My Mistress' Thighs in its 2nd edition, Honourable Mention in the 2011 Rainbow Awards--and when I signed into my Kobo account just now, hey, guess what?  It's NOT available for sale through Kobo.  The book and its related metadata have disappeared behind a button called "Declined."

As I mentioned, FIVE of my titles (out of nearly 30 that I've uploaded to Kobo) have been "declined" (censored, restricted, banned, deemed unfit for sale--call it what you like).

Every one of those FIVE titles was an erotic romance ebook with the word "transgender" in the metadata.

Last time I blogged about Kobo censoring transgender romances, I disclosed that some of the transgender titles that have been "declined" contain very little erotic content.  Most are love stories that involve transgender issues. Take Eclipse the Stars as an example: it's about a couple dealing with jealousy and other issues within the context of a long-term trans lesbian relationship.

And Kobo banned it.

Why?

I have no fricken' clue.  I'm just the author.  I'm out of the loop.

I'm kind of shaking with anger right now, to be honest.  Kobo is obviously equating "transgender" with "filth" and, hey, you know me--I DO write filth... but My Mistress' Thighs ain't it.  My Mistress' Thighs is classy-ass fiction involving sex, love, and trans people.  The subtitle is "Erotic Transgender Fiction and Poetry."  Yes, that's right.  Poetry.  Sonnets, to be exact.

My Mistress' Thighs has been well-reviewed, and the first time it was available in print I got lovely thank you letters from people who identify as trans and recognized themselves in my characters.  The book's got sex in it, yeah.  And you know what else?  It's GOOD FICTION.  It's made a mark on people's lives.  I know because they've told me so.

But Kobo thinks it's inappropriate because it's about transgender characters.

I'll leave it at that.

For now.

Hugs,

Giselle

My Mistress' Thighs is available from a number of retailers, including Amazon (I never thought I'd live in a world where Kobo restricts more content than Amazon!).

Ebook:  http://www.amazon.com/My-Mistress-Thighs-Giselle-Renarde-ebook/dp/B00H0O73CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386136649&sr=8-2&keywords=my+mistress%27+thighs

Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/My-Mistress-Thighs-Transgender-Fiction/dp/1494301539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386136649&sr=8-1&keywords=my+mistress%27+thighs

No comments:

Post a Comment